Friday, February 25, 2011

the maxi skirt

As I continue to mention, winter is hot on our heels. And lets face it, Autumn in Melbourne requires copious amounts of winter clothing anyway because the seasons are bipolar. Which has lead my mind to pre-plan many, many outfits for the crisp mornings and afternoons full of weak sunlight.

To combat this odd weather, I was thinking clothes that can be layered, but cozied up at the same time, and a thought came to me: maxi skirts.

A regular feature on the catwalks of NY, London and most recently, Milan the maxi skirt is nearly the epitome of cool. Only to be worn with attitude, the look can take you from coffee first up through to after work drinks, only with the tiniest amount of tweaking. I'm loving the thought of the skirt with some relaxed strappy sandals, but also with a pair of camel or black chunky wedges for that edgy look.

They're unbelievably versatile, too. Warm up with a knitted cardi, or go full-on maxi with a knee length version.

My inspiration for these thoughts is the mental image of a girl I saw in St Kilda last week, she had on a black racer-back tank top that stopped just above her hips, and on said hips was a burnt orange maxi skirt, with one corner tied up in a knot, (I'm assuming to combat the warm weather) and it looked mad. Hair up in a top knot, and rounded Karen Walker sunglasses completed the look, and it worked - so much so that I'm still thinking about a random person who was 20 metres away.

I found my own orange maxi on clothing Mecca - eBay and am still waiting for the right occasion, (and the right wedges to arrive in the mail) before it gets an outing.






Orange still wins.

G. 

No comments:

Post a Comment